Describes how to prepare annual GST return GSTR-9. Auto-calculating return data from GSTR-1, GSTR-2A and GSTR-3B returns.
Table of Contents
Using Octa GST you can prepare annual GST return (GSTR-9) quickly and accurately. Every registered tax payer under regular scheme is required to file annual GST return. The last date of filing GSTR-9 for financial year 2017-18 is 31-Dec 2018.
GSTR-9 is a summary returns with consolidated information related to sales and purchase transactions. Most of the information to be reported in GSTR-9 needs to be calculated from:
- GSTR-1 filed in the financial year and next financial year till September
- GSTR-3B filed in the financial year
Whereas there are other sections which needs to reported based on:
- GSTR-2A data of financial year and next financial year till September
- Sales & purchase transactions
Adding GST Returns Data
Before you can start working on GSTR-9, you will need to add the various return files in Octa GST. Please follow below steps to add the return files:
- Download the GSTR-1 JSON files from GST Portal for the whole financial year and April to September of next financial year. For 2017-18 financial year, you need to GSTR-1 files of Jul 2017 to Sep 2018 period.
- Go to GSTR-1 page in Octa GST and add the GSTR-1 return files. You can add all files in one go.
- Download the GSTR-2A JSON files from GST Portal for the whole financial year and April to September of next financial year. Please note that you need to download JSON files (not Excel files). For 2017-18 financial year, you need to GSTR-1 files of Jul 2017 to Sep 2018 period.
- Go to GSTR-2A page in Octa GST and add the GSTR-2A files. You can add all files in one go.
- Download the GSTR-3B JSON files from GST Portal for the whole financial year. Please note that you will need to use Octa GST assistant (Chrome Extension) to download GSTR-3B JSON files. For financial year 2017-18, you need to add GSTR-3B files of Jul 2017 to Mar 2018 period.
- Go to GSTR-3B page in Octa GST and add the GSTR-3B return files. You can add all files in one go.
Auto-Calculating the GSTR-9
Once the pre-requisites data has been added in Octa GST, go to GSTR-9 page. Select the GSTIN and financial year for which you wish to prepare GSTR-9. This page will show you an overview of all relevant data that has been added. If you missed adding some data by mistake, you can easily spot such mistakes on this page.
Simply click on Prepare GSTR-9 button and a live preview of GSTR-9 will be shown.
Depending on the amount of data, calculating all values of GSTR-9 might take a few seconds. So whenever you wish to auto-calculate the information in GSTR-9, simply click on Calculate button.
The live preview will show all the information of GSTR-9. Using this facility, you may manually specify or override the value of each section if you prefer. You may print the GSTR-9 to share or store for reference later.
Uploading to GST Portal
GST Portal has not published the facility to upload the GSTR-9 JSON file. Therefore, this facility will be enabled in upcoming version of Octa GST.